Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Head-injury, or Habitually Hayley?

I love nursing. Sometimes we cover topics where the symptoms so resinate how we feel at the time that it's pretty funny. Here's a slide from this morning's lecture:
Clinical Manifestations by Severity:
Mild Head Injury (like a concussion)
  • Low grade headache that will not go away
  • Slowness in thinking, acting, speaking or reading
  • Memory Problems
  • Loss of Balance, unsteady gait (the way you walk)
  • Difficulty Concentrating
  • Lethargy
  • Increased sensitivity to lightsm sounds, distractions
  • Easily Irritated
  • Lack of motivation

Just ask Nurse Dani... try to think of a morning lecture where i'm not displaying at least 8 of the 10 above symptoms! Now of course i'm over exaggerating, and i love class and i'm really not that irritable in the morning, (though the difficulty concentrating and the lack of motivation ring true more often than not). I guess it's just moments like this when i remember that my patients are not all that different from me! This is where my ability to empathize really shines, and i can do for my patient what i'd want done for me!

Typical treatment: a warm blanket, the lights turned down low, and some peace and quiet for awhile.

3 Comments:

At 11/30/2006 5:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Boooooo morning classes! I don't know what you're talking about, I can stand the stupid things! Seriously, as soon as we learn IV initiation you better watch me because I will SO hook myself up to a caffiene IV. Mmmmmm...coffee.

 
At 11/30/2006 11:29 PM, Blogger Fluffy said...

Reminds me of your many medical diagnosis for my behaviour. lol. It scares me sometimes. It it makes you feel any better, that list describes my night yesterday. and no I did't fall down a flight of stairs. :)

 
At 12/01/2006 1:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i like that idea of peace and quiet and warm blanket. i'm sorry i've dropped off the face of the planet these days. i should have more of a life starting tomorrow. but if i don't make it, know that i loved you all along.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home