Sunday, July 16, 2006

Intense Intensive Care

An update at last...
So Intensive Care is Intense. Go figure! But it's making me see things differently, yet again. I get to hear things before they make the news. As such, there are things i can't post in a blog. But everyone has a story. I recognize family members who are at the bedside of there seriously ill loved ones, who are blearly eyed at 2am getting coffee from the garden deli, just like me.
I've been working more than full time for the past two weeks...90 hours split between the ICU and the OR, and its been a madhouse in both places. You'd think we'd be getting the attractive cowboys who've been trampled by 4000 pound animals. But no, we get the people who have pounded back indeterminate amounts of alcohol and have tried something stupid. I'm with a few of my friends on this one, Stampede has become a stupid excuse to get trashed. Albeit, i see the results of the people who go overboard, and they're thankfully not the majority. But from my perspective, i've gotten to see the HUGE crunch on the health care system that everyone anticipates this time of year...the ICU was literally overflowing, with 5 patients competing for one bed...sickest one "wins". OR was running 4 rooms when we usually run three. Props go out to the supernurses of the OR, especially the ones who worked from 7am until 10pm, that's just insane. I've pulled my share of insanity too, i worked 8 hours in the OR, then walked down the hall to pull 4 hours of overtime in the ICU. On the plus side, that overtime may have just paid for one of my textbooks next year!
I value my friends more than ever these days, especially for allowing me to vent on them. My jobs are stressfull, but that doesn't mean i'm the only one stressed out right now.
And funny thing, God's teaching me things here too, through weird ways and teachers. More about that later.

1 Comments:

At 7/17/2006 10:17 PM, Blogger Cyler Parent said...

I hold you and Andrea in high respect. I know there is no way I would be able to do what you guys do.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home